Tuesday 4 August 2015

Pinkhill painting

The wind was blowing quite hard and hadn't abated when we decided to move up to Pinkhill meadow at 16:30. We got rid of the dumpables before Sue helped the friendly Eynsham lock keeper to work the sluices and gates.


When moored at the empty Pinkhill moorings I got on with the next section of the roof, I angle grinder wire brushed the rusty bits, orbitally sanded, dusted, washed, degreased and rust proofer applied. It was getting dark when I'd finished. The noise of the electric grinder or the windy conditions might have kept Ollie Beak away, although I kept my eye out for him, the resident barn owl was nowhere to be seen.
Beak with Barker.

Still blowing a hooley in the morning as I started painting, the wind was whipping paint out of the tray as I rollered it on, I got in a bit of a mess but I soldiered on until I ran out of primer. There is a tin of dulux primer on board, been there since before we bought the boat, I gave it a stir, might have been usable, but thought better of it. I gave Bosums Boatyard a call they had grey primer in stock, a ten minute walk and I had a 2.5L of Yacht primer for £42, very light grey colour and thinner consistency. Not the same as the Craftmaster paint I've been using which is a darker grey and thicker.



The different primers won't matter after two coats of undercoat.



If I was doing this under cover the vents would be removed. 




Had a call from Ellite Furnishings the sofa and dinette cushions we ordered at Crick boat show are ready and a delivery date of the 17th at Wigrams Turn Marina has been agreed.

Tomorrow afternoon we have a grocery delivery to collect at Bablock Hythe from there we will start the journey northwards. We have enjoyed our two months on the Thames with friends old & new- we will be back next year for sure.

No comments:

Sunshine and Ice

Stop planks at Aston lock. Canal is frozen solid with 3" thick ice.   During last weeks cold snap we had a little frost forming on the ...