Wednesday 6 August 2014

The Anchor, Pyrford

It pelted down with rain during the night but it was clear by the time we had got underway at 10:30.

A snobby woman boater asked me at one lock if I only wanted the one gate open to get FL out. Both gates!.. ...I informed her that the National Trust advises opening both gates as it saves damaging the gates.(maybe she was just testing me... or there again she was a la de dah no it all)

Troops of girl guides and boy scouts were walking the towpath to Guildford, most gave a wave as we passed by. Four locks later and we found the scout leaders at the Anchor pub having refreshment, we found out that they sent the boys and girls on a four-mile hike along the towpath to the New Inn where they were going rendezvous with them by car.... I like their style.

Met up with my three brothers and sister in law at the Anchor for tea, they do some very nice Dorset Ales from the Badger brewery, we finished off with coffee and cake on board FL.


Gongoozlers give us a wave.

Turf sided lock
Entering Pyrford lock with the Anchor behind.


Alan, me, Mike, Sue, Mal & Bob




No comments:

Sunshine and Ice

Stop planks at Aston lock. Canal is frozen solid with 3" thick ice.   During last weeks cold snap we had a little frost forming on the ...