Friday 16 August 2013

New visitor

Yesterday we only moved 100yds up the cut to the seven day moorings at Thrupp. We can get a satellite signal in this position, I wanted to watch the England v Scotland football match, which they won but in typically torturous to watch fashion. I really don't know why I bother.

Today we have booked a days car hire and are going to pick Sue's mum up from Somerset who will be visiting for a few days.






Betty who has always said that she hates boats and the water said 5 mins after getting on Festina  "I think I'm going to like this"....hmmm.... I'm worried I might not get rid of her to easily now!

We have met some very chatty people on the towpath today and we also pulled a stuck boat free with rope's from the towpath. We had a stroll down to The Jolly Boatman for lunch and this afternoon the sun has come out after quite a wet morning. We will stay here another night and move off tomorrow.

I was thinking today why if you take pedestrians of the high street where they are all too busy to even make eye contact, and put them on a towpath they are immediately transformed and will slow down and interact with you, even if it's just a smile or a nod  but usually conversation will happen. It must be the calming effect that water has on people, the canal acting like a liquid prosaic lifting people for a brief moment from their worldly cares.

No comments:

Sunshine and Ice

Stop planks at Aston lock. Canal is frozen solid with 3" thick ice.   During last weeks cold snap we had a little frost forming on the ...